Men's Soccer

Syracuse stays at No. 7 for 3rd straight week

Griffin Uribe Brown | Contributing Photographer

The Orange held their spot in the rankings after suffering their first loss in 350 days, a 2-1 defeat to Cornell

Syracuse men’s soccer (4-1-3, 1-0-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) stayed at No. 7 in Week 5 of the United Soccer Coaches Poll which was released on Tuesday. After opening the season at No. 1, the Orange held the top spot for just one week before falling.

On Sept. 19, Syracuse lost its first game in 350 days, falling 2-1 to Cornell. It was SU’s first loss since losing to the Big Red on Oct. 4, 2022. Syracuse led in the first half after a goal from Felipe D’Agostini, but two Alex Harris scores in the second half gave Cornell the lead for good.

Three days later, the Orange matched up with Pittsburgh, looking to avoid consecutive losses for the first time since 2021. Though Syracuse fell behind twice, it responded both times through goals from Lorenzo Boselli and Gavin Wigg. Midfielder Jeorgio Kocevski scored the game-winner in the 56th minute to give Syracuse its first Atlantic Coast Conference win of the season.

Syracuse’s three goals against the Panthers was the most it scored since its game against Binghamton on Aug. 28. The Orange haven’t scored multiple goals since their 2-2 tie with then-No. 7 Louisville on Sept. 8. Syracuse has had nine different goal scorers this season but outside of Boselli (5) and Gabriel Mikina (2), the Orange don’t have anyone with more than one goal.