Men's Soccer

SU’s attack shows sign of regression against Wake Forest

Nick Luttrell | Staff Photographer

Thus far in 2023, Syracuse hasn't replicated the attacking production it had last year when it won a National Championship.

During its 2022 National Championship run, Syracuse’s strikers regularly delivered. Nathan Opoku and Levonte Johnson combined for 22 goals and 14 assists (58 points) last season. Four other players totaled double-digit points.

But the Orange have struggled on the attack in their quest to repeat. Lorenzo Boselli, who switched from midfield, and Nicholas Kaloukian, a transfer from Michigan, have been tasked to fill Opoku and Johnson’s shoes. So far, the two have combined for five goals in six games. Only one other forward or midfielder has scored a goal (Mateo Leveque).

The Orange have maintained their defensive dominance from last year, holding opponents to 0.67 goals per game compared to 0.72 in 2022. Meanwhile, their offense currently ranks 176th in the country in shot accuracy and their goals per game (1.67) are fourth-worst in the ACC.

In their 1-1 draw to No. 20 Wake Forest, the Orange started hot with a goal from Kaloukian 80 seconds in. But from that point, the attack stalled. Kaloukian’s goal was the only shot on goal SU took in the first half. In the last 21 minutes of the evening, SU didn’t register a shot.

“I thought (in the) first half we were very good, but then as the game wore on I thought (Wake Forest) stretched us,” head coach Ian McIntyre said of SU’s performance.

Miranda Fournier | Design Editor

Wake Forest tried breaking Syracuse’s high press early in the match. In the sixth minute, Garrison Tubbs cleared it to SU’s Gabriel Mikina in midfield, who headed to Leveque for a change in possession.

Now on the left flank, Syracuse’s attack probed, waiting for a run toward goal. They couldn’t find a target. Boselli and Kaloukian fought for position within the 18 as the Demon Deacons’ defense held strong. Finally, Boselli ventured outside of the box to offer an extra option but Olu Oyegunle fired an errant pass as the attack broke down.

Then in the 15th minute, Syracuse was gifted a scoring chance. Demon Deacons goalie Trace Alphin attempted a pass to Bo Cummings. Positioned between the two, Boselli extended his right leg to intercept it.

Boselli had a clean look but took too long to shoot. Tubbs recovered, quickly blocking off a passing lane to Kaloukian. Still, Boselli missed wide of the far left post. A quick-change goal would have given Syracuse an essential insurance goal, considering its hardships within the attacking third.

Boselli sat on the bench for most of the second half. He came back in with 12 minutes left, when Syracuse had given up its lead and were in need of a goal. Prior to Boselli’s return, McIntyre switched from SU’s typical 3-5-2 to a 4-5-1, with four men in the backline and Kaloukian as the lone striker.

While soaking up pressure, Syracuse allowed a game-tying penalty kick and failed more offensive chances. The Orange were limited to just two shots (zero on goal) in the second half. McIntyre stressed the importance of utilizing the roster’s depth, as the Orange approach a slew of ranked ACC matchups.

“Rotation is going to be important for the guys up front,” McIntyre said. “If we had to play everyone 90 minutes, we would have really gotten run over (by Wake Forest).”

Miranda Fournier | Design Editor

In the 76th minute, Syracuse launched an attack after conceding the equalizer a minute prior. At the moment, both Kaloukian and Boselli were on the sidelines.

Jeorgio Kocevski delivered a through ball deep into Wake Forest’s third that found Jackson Glenn. Glenn attempted a cross, but Jahlane Forbes deflected it out of bounds. Attacker Felipe D’Agostini couldn’t control the ensuing throw-in, leading to a 50-50 ball which ended back up with the attacker.

D’Agostini moved backward, scanning for a teammate. He ran a give-and-go with Kocevski but D’Agostini’s second touch rolled off his back heel and out of bounds.

The Orange and the Demon Deacons were knotted at 1-1 as the clock ticked below the five-minute mark. Edwards completed a throw-in to Kocevski, who found space along the right flank. Kocevski whipped a cross inside the 18 that trickled toward a cutting Kaloukian. As he tried to deliver a strike, Wake Forest’s Colin Thomas arrived first, booting it out of play.

SU’s push ended swiftly after the ensuing throw-in was mishandled by Kocevski, creating a counter attack for Wake Forest. The Orange didn’t threaten in the attacking third for the rest of the game.

Although SU hasn’t executed to its ability, it has received a lot of attacking opportunities. The Orange average 14.7 shots per game, which is more than double its opponents’ shot average (7.2). But they haven’t been on target.

Of Syracuse’s three games versus top 25 foes (Penn State, Louisville and Wake Forest), it’s scored only four times and has gone through lengthy stretches of offensive inactivity. Thus far in 2023, inconsistency in the attacking third has held the Orange back from replicating last year’s play.