SU Abroad

SU restricts travel to Italy amid spread of coronavirus

Italy has experienced an outbreak of the coronavirus in recent weeks.

Syracuse University has restricted university travel to Italy in response to the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Students, faculty and staff are barred from traveling to Italy for university purposes effective immediately, according to a campus-wide email sent Saturday. SU will lift the restrictions when government authorities — such as the U.S. State Department and Centers for Disease Control — deem it safe to do so.  

Italy in recent weeks has experienced an outbreak of the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. The respiratory disease, which health officials believe originated in Wuhan, China, has spread to 58 countries. At least 1,128 people in Italy have contracted the disease, and 29 have died, according to the New York Times.

The university announced Tuesday it had suspended its SU Abroad program in Florence, Italy to protect students. Italy has also ramped up efforts to prevent the spread of the virus. Both the State Department and the CDC have issued warnings urging Americans to reconsider travel to Italy. 

The university has already announced travel restrictions on China and South Korea in response to the outbreak of COVID-19.

Any SU students, faculty, or staff who travel to Italy, China or South Korea will not be allowed to enter any university facilities for 14 days. The waiting period will allow travelers to self-monitor for symptoms of the virus, the email said. 

The university continues to monitor the spread of the virus and is working to keep students safe, according to the email. Students planning to travel for spring break should consider how COVID-19 will affect their plans and take precautions to protect themselves, it said.