Student Life Column

SU should invest in being accessible to underrepresented students

Elizabeth Billman | Assistant Photo Editor

Overall, SU should pay more attention to encouraging more student of color enrollment within its campus demographic.

Editor’s Note: In a previous version of this post, there were several errors. They are corrected below.

UPDATED: Feb. 4, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.

As a Syracuse University student, there are copious amounts of resources on campus that should be improved upon.  SU needs to allocate more money to underrepresented students and resources that expand access to higher education.

Programs such as Posse, SSS, and HEOP are all programs that are designed to support and connect students to a college similar to their academic rigor and then fund it. Programs which promote diversity such as POSSE, SSS, and HEOP funnel in students of color into obtaining a college education, as they may not be able to reach the school any other way.

These programs help students of diverse backgrounds. Instead of allocating tuition money towards expanding these programs, the university has been funding what students want less and less and focusing on donor interest.

With nearly 52% of Syracuse University being made up of white students, according to SU’s Fall 2019 Census, it would help to see Syracuse invest more in expanding more in programs like POSSE to increase enrollment of students of color.

SU may argue how the university awards more than 40% of financial aid to students of color.

It is important to understand that under these circumstances the school cannot fully state its commitment toward allocating funds to programs that empower students of color.

“Students’ choices are important…If there is something students want to see, campus administration are always willing to listen to students…As for marginalized student resources that’s something a lot of students and administration care about,” said Maria Zhu, an assistant professor of economics at SU.

Overall, SU should pay more attention to encouraging more student of color enrollment within its campus demographic. When students face the burden of rising tuition costs and the defunding of educational programs, access to education becomes unattainable for students of color who do not come from an affluent socioeconomic status.

More investment toward resources that allow for higher graduation and enrollment rates of underrepresented students should be a spending project the university should focus on in order to meet the demands of being a diverse and inclusive campus.

While the school does listen to students’ needs, there is still more the university can do with their investments in order to ensure the voices of underrepresented students are heard.  Solving this problem of unclear communication will allow for a fulfilling environment for all students from all demographics.

Feryal Nawaz is a junior political science major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at fnawaz@syr.edu. She can be followed on Twitter @feryal_nawaz.

CORRECTIONS: In a previous version of this post, there were several mistakes and mischaracterizations. The Daily Orange regrets these errors.

• The number of students Posse has brought to SU is unclear.
  • Posse is designed to help students of diverse backgrounds with academic and leadership potential.
  • A Posse scholar student was quoted with a pseudonym. That student and their quote was removed.
  • HEOP is a state-funded financial aid program, not SU-funded.