Student Life Column

Colleges should do more to make studying abroad accessible to all students

Cassie Cavallaro | Assistant Illustration Editor

Syracuse sends students to Southeast Asia, Europe, and Australia, among other places.

Syracuse University, like many other colleges, strongly advocates for its students to study abroad. These cultural experiences invite students to step out of their comfort zones and immerse themselves in unknown territories.

However, while studying abroad is important and beneficial, it is a luxury, and luxuries come with a high price tag. A person’s financial status should not limit their access to once in a lifetime opportunities. Many universities need to do more to make abroad experiences accessible for broader percentage of the student body.

According to the 2013-14 data from the National Institute of International Education, 45% of Syracuse students studied abroad — the 19th highest participation rate nationwide. Syracuse sends students to Southeast Asia, Europe, and Australia, among other places.

It is no secret that programs like these are expensive. SU students who want to study abroad pay a semester’s tuition in addition to a program fee specific to their destination. Some program fees are as much as $8,000, according to the Syracuse Abroad website. Additionally, the website shows that personal expenses can also amount to more than $8,500.

While some schools may not be the most understanding when it comes to students’ financial limitations, Syracuse’s abroad program provides a number of resources for students who might be unable to pay for a semester abroad. Syracuse Abroad has a small office in the basement of Bird Library where students can access additional information about the programs or meet with a program advisor. The Syracuse Abroad website also provides access to a number of grants and scholarships students can apply for.

75bn__op

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

Senior Sophie Akal, who studied in Madrid this past summer, said SU was helpful in answering her questions about paying for her time abroad, but said she wouldn’t have been able to go to Madrid without financial assistance.

“Financial aid was the only reason I was able to cover the cost of going abroad,” she said. “As long as you keep in contact with the office they’ll answer all your questions.”

Akal is not alone. About 75% of SU students received some form of aid during the 2017-18 school year. This is not something students should be embarrassed about. Their current fiscal standing should not prevent them from speaking up and getting the help they deserve to advance their education and experience other cultures.

“Syracuse Abroad is committed to making global education a reality for all students interested in pursuing academic opportunities abroad,” Ashley Alessandrini, communications manager for Syracuse Abroad, said in an email. “Students can expect that financial aid packages travel with them abroad.”

Everyone who wants to should be able to study abroad. For many students across the country, personal finances stand in the way of participating, often because schools don’t provide the resources and advice needed to manage expensive semesters abroad. Fortunately, Syracuse University actively works to give all students the possibility to experience the world and step outside of their comfort zones. Other schools should follow their lead. And students should know that there are options if they want to go abroad.

George Hashemi is a sophomore writing and rhetoric and broadcast digital journalism major. His column appears bi-weekly. He can be reached at gbhashem@syr.edu. He can be followed on Twitter at @geohash123.