Student Life Column

An ‘other’ category on admissions surveys could have unintended consequences

Karleigh Merritt Henry | Digital Design Editor

Many biracial and multicultural students already feel the burden of feeling like they must identify more with one part of their racial background than another, and filling out these surveys which are not accommodating only adds to this burden.

For many bi-racial and multicultural students applying to universities, filling out surveys, or even just being asked the question “What are you?” can be quite difficult. Many of these forms asking about race or ethnicity have extremely limited options.

Syracuse University needs to provide more race and ethnicity options on its surveys and applications — options that allow prospective students to embrace their heritage and background on their own terms.

SU’s Common Application lists five options to describe a person’s race: American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian, Black, Pacific Islander and White. This admissions survey doesn’t even offer an option to not respond or choose “other.”

The Diversity Committee for the SU Student Association are now taking the much-needed initiative to expand these options, starting with the post-application survey for admitted students in fall 2020. This initiative will be extremely beneficial in enabling university officials to see and recognize that there are a broad range of demographics and identities on this campus. That awareness allows for SU to better structure support systems and resources for these demographics.

The university should also be careful when considering an “other” category for students to choose on future surveys. Many biracial and multicultural students already feel the burden of feeling like they must identify more with one part of their racial background than another, and filling out these surveys which are not accommodating only adds to this burden. That sort of option can become degrading and dehumanizing when feasible alternatives are not available. It sends the message that the university is unwilling to acknowledge identities that are not seen as mainstream.

If efforts from the Diversity Committee are successful, students will have a better chance to be seen and will also be provided with more resources that align with their specific identities.

Feryal Nawaz is a junior political science major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at fnawaz@syr.edu. She can be followed on Twitter @feryal_nawaz.