From the Stage

Adaptation of ‘Pride and Prejudice’ to open at Syracuse Stage

Aaron Kassman | Staff Photographer

(From left to right) Angela Janas, Kate Hamill, Robyn Kerr and Samantha Steinmetz are the four daughters in "Pride and Prejudice."

Despite having been written more than 200 years ago, “Pride and Prejudice” is a romantic tale that has yet to be forgotten. Known for its uncommon approach to the standard love story, a new spin on Jane Austen’s renowned novel will open Wednesday at Syracuse Stage.  

The story is centered around the headstrong Elizabeth Bennet, known as Lizzy. The Bennets face financial difficulties, leading Lizzy’s mother to urge her to marry any man that can provide for her. When the wealthy Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy arrive in the small village of Longbourn, Lizzy finds herself intrigued by Darcy — but he’s afraid to reveal his feelings for someone so below his status.  

Kate Hamill, the playwright of this adaptation, has received acclaim from journalists in newspapers such as The New York TimesThe Wall Street Journal and HuffPost. The Wall Street Journal awarded her as Playwright of the Year in 2017.  

When adapting literary classics such as “Pride and Prejudice,” Hamill views her process as a collaboration between the author and herself. She said she ensures her pieces are unique from the original, while still having the key moments those familiar with the novel will recognize.  

pride-and-prejudice

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

“I don’t believe in a copy-and-paste approach. … I’m not a traditionalist,” she said, in an email. “I like making theater pieces that are full of surprises. And a theater piece must not be and cannot be a pale imitation of the novel. It must stand on its own.” 

Hamill defines herself as a “feminist playwright,” writing woman-centered narratives that are relevant to current social issues. She also makes sure her plays pass the Bechdel test — a measurement of women in fiction where at least two woman characters have a conversation about a topic that does not involve men.  

For Syracuse Stage’s production, Hamill won’t only be flexing her theater muscles behind the curtain. She will also be performing in the show, playing two roles: Lydia Bennet, the youngest of the Bennet sisters, and Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Mr. Darcy’s aunt.  

“Pride and Prejudice” is directed by Hamill’s fiancé, Jason O’Connell. When Hamill’s adaptation premiered two years ago, the pair’s personal romance was used to the play’s advantage, with Hamill starring as Lizzy and O’Connell as Darcy.  

For O’Connell, it’s important the actors explore their own strengths, rather than just mimic actors, like himself, who have played the characters before.  

I’ve had to be very mindful of the fact that the actors I’ve cast now need the freedom to bring their own talents and energies to these characters, and not feel that they need to replicate my and Kate’s earlier performances,” said O’Connell, in an email.  

spec-aaronkassman-sp

Angela Janas, Joey Parsons, and Robyn Kerr dance between scenes. The play has dance breaks to disco music throughout. Aaron Kassman | Staff Photographer

Angela Janas, who plays the character of Lizzy, said she has admired the power team of Hamill and O’Connell for several years, and hoped to one day star in one of their shows. Years prior to auditioning, she read Hamill’s adaptation of “Pride and Prejudice” and adored it.  

When she heard they were looking for someone to play Lizzy, Janas knew right away that she wanted to audition. While re-reading the script, Janas said she was hit with a wave of emotion. 

“I was sitting in a coffee shop and I was laughing out loud — it’s that funny on the page,” Janas said, in an email. “And then, all the emotion of the play completely snuck up on me and I was crying over my laptop.” 

Though “Pride and Prejudice” is a story known by many, Janas wants people to know that this is a version they have never seen before.  

“They’re going to be pleasantly surprised by how these famous characters they thought they already knew are extraordinarily nuanced, multi-faceted and real,” Janas said, “and that they have a lot more in common with them than they thought.”