Year in Review

D.O. Sports’ 10 best-written stories of the Spring

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Brendan Bomberry and Chris Cloutier embrace after Syracuse beat North Carolina 13-12 in overtime. The No. 45 has a special meaning for the two former The Hill Academy players, celebrating the life of a former Hill Academy player who collapsed on the field and died.

Over the course of the Spring, The Daily Orange’s coverage of SU Athletics — among other things — has produced numerous features written by our staff. With the Spring semester past, we have compiled a list of our 10 best-written stories from the past five months. The stories range from the importance of the No. 45 — the number worn by Syracuse attack Brendan Bomberry — in college lacrosse to Syracuse basketball’s obsession with Fortnite, a video game.

Read the whole list below.

For The Hill Academy lacrosse players, No. 45 isn’t just a jersey. It’s a way of life.

041018_bomberry45_shub-seltzer_sp-9-3

Josh Shub Seltzer | Staff Photographer

When Jamieson Kuhlmann collapsed on the field after getting hit in the chest by the shoulder of a defender, he was wearing the No. 45 jersey. After his death, the jersey was retired at The Hill Academy and former players — like Syracuse attack Brendan Bomberry — continue his legacy by wearing the number in college.

Meet Kip Wellman, Jim Boeheim’s right-hand man

a1-1

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Behind Jim Boeheim is Syracuse Director of Basketball operations Kip Wellman. After being recommended to Juli Boeheim, he’s risen up the ranks at SU to become the No. 2 to the legendary Syracuse head coach.

When Syracuse players don’t have practice or a game, they’re probably playing Fortnite

011617_mbbpitt_alexandramoreo_ssp_gallery-20-4

Alexandra Moreo | Staff Photographer

Syracuse’s top scorer, Tyus Battle, was also voted by his teammates as the best at SU players’ favorite activity for when they aren’t in practice or a game: Fortnite. The game that’s taken the world by storm has found itself a place with the Syracuse team.

Isis Young battled through a torn ACL and a transfer to become SU’s spark plug off the bench

a1_web_codieyan_sp-2

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Isis Young tore her ACL in her senior year of high school in front of her father at a showcase in Philadelphia University’s gym. The injury changed the course of her career, turning her into an afterthought at Florida and eventually leading to her to transfer to SU. Now, Young is the Orange’s spark-plug off the bench.

How Jim Boeheim, the oldest coach in D1 basketball, stays in shape

a3_allymoreo-2

Jim Boeheim, at 73 years old, has credited Pilates for allowing him to coach for as long as he has. As he finished up his 42nd year as SU’s head coach, the twice per week sessions have allowed Boeheim to prevent knee pain and improve his overall health.

Syracuse picks up crucial road win, downs Louisville, 78-73

Syracuse guard Frank Howard (23) during a game against Louisville on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018, at the KFC Yum Center in Louisville, Ky. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Courtesy of Dennis Nett | Syracuse.com

On Feb. 5, the Orange traveled to the KFC Yum! Center to take on Louisville who was favored in the game. But Syracuse picked up a crucial road win to boost its resume as the regular season reached its final leg.

I bet against Jim Boeheim. Then I got stuck in Istanbul.

022418_mbbvsduke_alexandramoreo-13-4

Senior Staff Writer Sam Fortier signed up for a capstone class “Political Reporting” that had a 10-day trip to Israel at the end of it. But the trip came in the midst of an NCAA Tournament run from SU, a run that little expected it to make, including Fortier. To cap things off, at the airport on a flight that would get him back in time to cover the Orange’s Round of 32 matchup with Michigan State, his flight was cancelled. The Senior Staff Writer who bet against SU’s head coach was stuck in Istanbul.

For 57 years, this man has crafted wooden lacrosse sticks by hand

041518_onondagalax_alexandramoreo_ssp-3-2

Alfie Jacques has crafted wooden lacrosse sticks by hand in his barn on the Onandagaan reservation for many years. The sticks go to a careful 10-month process and are sold for $350 a stick. Over the years he’s learned to embrace the game of lacrosse, the “Creator’s Game.”

WAITING GAME: After a late start to the sport, Nick Mellen has slowly found the balance between aggression and intelligence

mellen_web-1

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Nick Mellen has always had athletic ability, but sometimes he could be too impatient in pursuit of the ball. As he adapted to the game of lacrosse, a sport he picked up late, he’s found the perfect formula to become a lockdown defender at SU.

SETTLING IN: Asa Goldstock, mentored by an all-time SU great, fights to figure out how to shine in her new home

012117_wlaxguide_alexandramoreo_ssp-14-1

Asa Goldstock has been a recognized lacrosse talent since middle school and, after struggles at home found herself living with the family of Kayla Treanor — the greatest Syracuse women’s lacrosse player of all-time — she forged a path to become the starting goalkeeper at Syracuse. In her freshman year at SU, her talents didn’t lead to the same success her “sister” had as she struggled to find to balance of the aggression that has led her to new heights, but has also been her kryptonite.