ON CAMPUS

Syracuse University won’t penalize applicants for peaceful protests

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

Protests and marches against gun violence have been planned nationwide in response to the recent mass shooting in Parkland, Florida.

Syracuse University on Sunday joined a growing number of colleges nationwide that have promised not to penalize applicants for participation in peaceful protests.

“Admissions decisions will not be affected by participation in or disciplinary action associated with peaceful, meaningful protest,” Syracuse University announced in a tweet Sunday afternoon.

The announcement from SU and dozens of other universities comes as high school students nationwide plan protests and walkouts condemning gun violence. After 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, were killed on Feb. 14, students have taken to social media and the streets to push for stricter gun control legislation.

National school walkouts protesting gun violence are planned for March 14 and April 20.

A march in Washington, D.C., called the March for Our Lives, is scheduled for March 24. It’s expected to draw about 500,000 people, the Washington Post reported, and similar marches are also set to take place in cities nationwide.

Some school districts, including two near Houston and one in Wisconsin, threatened to suspend students for participating in walkouts.

“Please be advised that the Needville ISD will not allow a student demonstration during school hours for any type of protest or awareness!!” said Curtis Rhodes, superintendent of Texas’s Needville Independent School District, in a Wednesday Facebook post that has since been taken down.

American University, Cornell University and Northwestern University are among the SU peer institutions that have put their support behind student protesters.

“No student who is admitted or has a pending application will be affected by disciplinary actions arising from their right to protest,” American announced in a Saturday tweet.

The national debate surrounding gun violence and gun control was reinvigorated when 14 students and three staff members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas were killed with an AR-15 semiautomatic weapon — a legal, military-grade gun frequently used in recent mass shootings.

The Florida high school massacre is the ninth deadliest mass shooting in recent United States history, and the third deadliest U.S. school shooting.