Year In Review

Catch up on the top 10 biggest news stories of the fall 2017 semester

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

One of the biggest news stories of the fall 2017 semester was Ben Walsh's victory in the Syracuse mayoral race.

Throughout the fall 2017 semester, Daily Orange News reporters covered several stories that had large, immediate impacts on the greater Syracuse area and university community, including the city’s mayoral race and an on-campus mumps outbreak.

Catch up on all essential news reading before the spring semester starts:

Ben Walsh wins Syracuse mayoral race, defeating Democrat Juanita Perez Williams

110817_walshvictory_shub-seltzer_sp-4

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Ben Walsh, who will become the first independent mayor of Syracuse in January, defeated Juanita Perez Williams, a former Syracuse University administrator, after a competitive race this fall. Walsh won just under 55 percent of the electorate, garnering a total of 13,013 votes. Perez Williams received 9,105 votes.

Mumps outbreak hits Syracuse University, affecting more than 100 campus community members

healthservices_rileybunch_sp-1-1

Riley Bunch | Staff Photographer

More than 100 campus community members were affected by the mumps outbreak, according to university health statistics. The outbreak started in late August and spread quickly across campus in September and October. Other colleges across the country have recently experienced similar outbreaks.

$100 million Invest Syracuse initiative announced by administrators

Summer Campus Scenes Lyman Smith HL Hall Of Languages Crouse College Exterior From Rood of Ernie Davis

Courtesy of Steve Sartori

Officials in July announced the start of a new $100 million academic fundraising initiative called Invest Syracuse to support Chancellor Kent Syverud’s Academic Strategic Plan. The Class of 2022, under the plan, will pay more than $13,000 in tuition premium costs if it takes them four years to graduate.

Pair sentenced to prison for roles in murder of international student Xiaopeng “Pippen” Yuan

mugshots1

Courtesy of the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office

Cameron Isaac, 24, and Ninimbie Mitchell, 20, were sentenced in connection to the 2016 murder of Xiaopeng “Pippen” Yuan, an international student from China. Isaac was sentenced to life in prison without parole for shooting and killing Yuan. Mitchell was sentenced to 15 years in prison for robbery.

Community members protest Republican tax plan, Syracuse University organizes lobbying efforts

112917_gradrally_hieunguyen_sp

Hieu Nguyen | Asst. Photo Editor

Campus community members and Syracuse residents rallied against the contentious Republican tax plan that would have dramatically affected higher education policy. Syracuse University officials lobbied lawmakers, opposing certain tax provisions included in the House of Representatives’ initial bill.

Delta Tau Delta fraternity suspended for violations that include hazing

image1

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Syracuse University’s Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities was investigating the fraternity to determine the extent to which the Code of Student Conduct was violated, one official said in mid-October. Incidents of hazing occured at Delta Tau Delta during the spring 2017 semester, according to a release by the national organization.

Experts say Syracuse University’s academic drop deadline is not compliant with federal law

do-file-photo11-2

A D.O. analysis found that, in past semesters, students who initiated leaves of absences after the financial deadline, but before the academic drop deadline had that semester’s courses wiped from their transcripts, even though the courses should have appeared as withdrawals under federal law.

Scientists help discover evidence of the creation of gold and platinum

101717_discovery_schlesinger_ape

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

A team of Syracuse University researchers helped a group of scientists prove that gold and platinum were created after two neutron stars the size of Syracuse collided at one-third the speed of light, throwing materials into the universe, creating stars, galaxies and heavier elements.

Syracuse University graduate student arrested, facing multiple child pornography charges

gu-bingdong

Courtesy of the New York State Police

Bingdong Gu, 22, was arrested in late November and faces several child pornography charges. He’s a graduate student in the College of Engineering and Computer Science. Gu was placed on interim suspension from the university and had his passport confiscated by a court clerk.

Archbold Gymnasium renovations start, experts detail college amenity spending

100317_archiboldgym_katiereahl_cp-1141-1

Katie Reahl | Staff Photographer

Officials detailed the start of a multimillion-dollar renovation project at Archbold Gymnasium near the end of the semester. Experts, in interviews, said several colleges across the country are prioritizing spending for recreational infrastructure projects in hopes of attracting more students.