Syracuse football game day: What to know about the Central Michigan matchup

Eric Dungey left the game against Central Michigan two years ago after being hit near his head by defensive lineman Mitch Stanitzek.

Syracuse hosts its final nonconference opponent of the season in Central Michigan on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. inside the Carrier Dome. The Chippewas are coming off a win at Big-12 foe Kansas, while SU looks to bounce back from a home loss against Middle Tennessee State.

How can you watch the game? The game will air on ACC Network Extra.

What’s to know about Central Michigan? The Chippewas boast one of the most powerful offenses in the country through two games, led by quarterback Shane Morris, who’s 12th in the country in passing yards. View the full scouting report here.

Who coaches at CMU? John Bonamego, who got his dream job at his alma mater. Months later, he was diagnosed with cancer on his left tonsil. Despite chemotherapy and radiation, he did not miss a single practice or team meeting.

Who will win the game? Our beat writers are predicting a narrow Syracuse victory.

Remember Mitch Stanitzek? Two Septembers ago, he was the CMU defensive lineman to deliver the type of blow to Eric Dungey that brought a heavy focus to Dungey’s running habits, a constant in SU’s offense two games into 2017. Dungey is leaving the past behind from that targeting call.

Concerns over player safety affect tackling, too. Syracuse is among a growing number of schools to adjust tackling techniques in an age of targeting calls and safety concerns.

What’s Syracuse’s biggest weakness? It may be the run game, but the punt return unit has been lackluster, too.

Anything else to know about Central Michigan? Jim Lahde of The Morning Sun answers questions surrounding the Chippewas.