Fast Reactions: 3 quick takeaways from No. 6 Syracuse’s overtime win against No. 11 Duke

Evan Jenkins | Staff Photographer

Freshman Jamie Trimboli delivered late-game heroics yet again for Syracuse on Saturday afternoon.

In a 2016 ACC tournament championship rematch, No. 6 Syracuse (6-1, 2-0 Atlantic Coast) beat No. 11 Duke (7-3, 0-1) in overtime, 12-11, inside the Carrier Dome. It marked a program-record sixth consecutive one-goal game for the Orange. Syracuse’s senior faceoff specialist Ben Williams had a career-worst day, but SU grinded out its fourth consecutive victory in its sixth straight one-goal game. Freshman Jamie Trimboli wound up and drilled the game-winner 40 seconds into the overtime period.

Here are three quick reactions to the game.

More late game heroics

Syracuse has won four straight and five of its last six, either by holding onto a late rally or going ahead with a last second goal. Saturday, SU blew a two-goal third-quarter lead but, for the fourth time this season, scored a game-winning goal in the final seconds or overtime. Junior midfielder Brendan Bomberry picked up a ground ball off the faceoff and a few passes later Trimboli scored the winner in his first-ever start.

Career-worst at the X

Most surprising from SU’s first half was Ben Williams’ performance at the X. The senior All-American won just 1-of-7 faceoffs in the opening quarter and 1-of-6 in the next frame. Overall, he had the worst game of his career, giving Duke’s ninth-ranked offense time to play keep-away as the Blue Devils patiently worked to feed Justin Guterding and Jack Bruckner the ball.

Guterding scored his first goal of the game shortly after a won faceoff. A minute later, Guterding ran behind the cage and fed Bruckner to give Duke its first lead of the game.

The ensuing faceoff resulted in a violation on Williams, giving the Blue Devils another long possession. Brad Smith, after nearly two minutes of Duke ball movement, scored the Blue Devils’ third unanswered goal and his 11th of the season by five-holing SU goalie Evan Molloy. It prompted SU head coach John Desko to call timeout.

To start the third quarter, Williams won the faceoff and Sergio Salcido wound up from 15 yards out to bounce in his eighth goal of the season and even the score at six. But that was one of few bright spots in his day. After he lost the first faceoff of the fourth, resulting in a Bruckner score eight seconds later, freshman Dan Varello took over at the X.

Possess the rock

At the half, Duke had seven turnovers to SU’s mere two and only four clears to SU’s eight. That’s because the Blue Devils dominated possessions. Throughout the game, even in man-ups, Duke deliberately worked the ball around the outside with no signs of urgency. Even as SU defenders batted at their stick.

The tide seemed to change, albeit slightly, after Williams opened the second half with a faceoff win. In the third quarter, SU outscored Duke 3-0 because it had the ball slightly more. Syracuse’s performance at the X didn’t improve, but Duke committed turnovers on each of its last five possessions to end the third. Syracuse took full advantage and capitalized when it did have the ball.