University Union

University Union to show advanced screening of horror film ‘Get Out’

Daily Orange file illustration

If you end up finding a Valentine next week, University Union might have just set you up for a second date — and it’s free.

UU will show an advanced screening of the upcoming horror film “Get Out” in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall’s Gifford Auditorium next Thursday, Feb. 16. The movie will begin at 8 p.m. and Insomnia cookies will also be provided.

“Get Out” is the directorial debut of Jordan Peele, best known as half of the sketch comedy duo Key & Peele. The plot tells the story of Chris, played by Daniel Kaluuya, and Rose, played by Allison Williams, an interracial couple on a weekend trip with Rose’s parents. The scary part enters the fold when Chris learns black men have a history of disappearing in the neighborhood.

Peter Menaker, UU’s cinemas director, said that the advanced screening is a result of NBCUniversal reaching out to UU. When the offer came across UU’s desk, it was a no-brainer to go for it.

“Based on prior years, we’ve had great attendance numbers when we’ve shown horror movies like this,” Menaker said.

The movie, which premiered at Sundance Film Festival earlier this year, will hit theaters Feb. 24. It currently has a 100 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with 16 out of 16 critics deeming it “Fresh.”