Men's Soccer

Syracuse men’s soccer drops 1 spot to No. 7

Tony D. Curtis | Staff Photographer

Syracuse tied No. 2 Wake Forest on Friday after losing its best defender six minutes into the game, but still fell one spot in the coaches poll.

After tying No. 2 Wake Forest last week, Syracuse men’s soccer dropped to No. 7 from No. 6 in this week’s NSCAA poll. The Orange (10-3-3, 3-2-3 Atlantic Coast) spent the previous two weeks ranked No. 6.

This week’s top 25 poll, the 10th of the season, includes eight ACC teams. The Demon Deacons stayed at No. 2 after claiming first place in the ACC Atlantic Division with their draw at SU. Clemson checks in at No. 3, North Carolina No. 4, and Louisville No. 10.

If the Orange beats Pittsburgh in the ACC tournament’s first round Wednesday night, Syracuse will travel on Sunday to the third-ranked Tigers, who got one first-place vote. SU and Clemson played to a scoreless tie on Oct. 21.

Syracuse has been ranked as high as No. 2 this year after its best-ever 8-0 start and as low as No. 10 during a four-game winless streak immediately following the hot start. The Orange has not lost in its last four games, thanks in part to the emergence of Kamal Miller, this week’s ACC Defensive Player of the Week.

Syracuse hosts Pittsburgh on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at SU Soccer Stadium in a matchup between the fifth-seeded Orange and 12th-seeded Panthers, who haven’t won since Sept. 4. Starting defender Miles Robinson will not play in the game because he got a red card against Wake Forest.