Work Wednesday

LaunchPad executive director connects aspiring Entrepreneurs to global businesses

Fiona Lenz | Staff Photographer

Linda Hartsock provides aspiring entrepreneurs with the support they need to get started at Blackstone LaunchPad.

Some of Linda Hartsock’s mentees call her “Mom.” She is the executive director of the Blackstone LaunchPad at Syracuse University, a space that connects the university with the global Blackstone network.

The LaunchPad has acted as a support system for aspiring entrepreneurs since it opened in April this year, and has engaged more than 900 students in the community across different majors and from over 41 countries. It is located within a 625-square-foot glass cube on the first floor of Bird Library.

As executive director, Hartsock works on designing and delivering academic programs, as well as coaching and mentoring student ventures.

“It makes for a very rich and stimulating job because I get to work with some of the brightest, most passionate future leaders on the SU campus,” Hartsock said.

Hartsock first worked as a faculty member at Marist College, and later ran the Hudson Valley’s regional planning policy and economic development group. 15 years ago, Hartsock joined the economic development team in Upstate New York as a senior member. She also ran the Tech Garden downtown, which works with Syracuse University on finding academic programs and funding, in addition to working on the construction of the Connective Corridor.

The mother of three credits her ability to balance life between her family and her career to her nurturing and motherly nature.

“To me, there’s never been an issue balancing my life. I’ve worked since I was 15, and I’ve raised three independent sons,” she said.

This year, Hartsock worked with Thrive, a team of students that developed a renewable energy kit for disaster relief. The team plans to use the kit as a teaching tool in communities that have been affected by natural disasters in order to empower them and give them access to technology.

For Hartsock, working with creative individuals to build community has always been her goal in life. Through “a combination of entrepreneurship technology, community revitalization and creative industries,” Hartsock turns students into entrepreneurs.

“To be able to do this with the next generation of civic leaders who are going to be carrying forward that mission, it’s just richly satisfying,” she said.