Field Hockey

Syracuse field hockey goalie Lucy Camlin no longer with team, former club goalie Lydia Fowler added

Sam Ogozalek | Staff Writer

Syracuse head coach Ange Bradley had no comment on backup goalie Lucy Camlin no longer being on SU's roster.

Graduate transfer goalkeeper Lucy Camlin is no longer a member of the Syracuse field hockey program, head coach Ange Bradley said after Sunday’s game against Pennsylvania. Bradley declined to comment on Camlin’s departure from the team.

Camlin left the Orange during the week of Sept. 12. An SU Athletics spokesman said the team will not have any further comment regarding Camlin’s situation.

Former club goalie senior Lydia Fowler has been added to the team in Camlin’s place.

Camlin transferred this summer from Edinburgh University, where she also saw time on the Scottish national team. She was in competition for the starting job throughout the preseason, splitting time in scrimmages with current SU starter Regan Spencer.

After a game against Stanford on Sept. 11, Bradley said No. 1 Syracuse’s (8-1, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) goalie competition was still open. She also said it “isn’t safe to say” Spencer is the team’s No. 1 keeper, and Camlin still had just as much of a shot at the position as Spencer.

However, Spencer has started eight of the Orange’s nine games this season, and all three games since the Stanford game. Camlin’s lone start came in a 5-1 win at Hofstra on Sept. 4.

Before the team’s game Sunday, Fowler stood behind the goal and watched as Spencer warmed up. She wore a jersey that said “Futures” with the No. 205 on it, and wasn’t wearing any SU-branded clothing.

Fowler took repetitions in the net during warmups. She also took balls the team overshot and kicked them back onto the field. She wore a No. 44 Syracuse jersey during the game, standing on the sidelines in the Orange’s 4-0 victory over Penn.

Fowler played for Schuylerville (New York) High School. She will not be made available to media until she gets more “into the team,” an SU Athletics spokesman said.