Week in Pulp

Week in Pulp: Struggle Bus, ‘Fiddler on the Roof,’ more

Riley Bunch | Photo Editor

The web series "Struggle Bus" is a drama-comedy that shows the everyday struggles of college students.

In the first week of the semester, Pulp has brought you stories about what the poets, rappers, Youtubers and choreographers of Syracuse and SU have been up to. Whether you’re looking for a good laugh from the humor column or to discover a new web series made by your classmates, we’ve got you covered. Click the headings below to check out each of the full stories.

All aboard the Struggle Bus

Slip and fall in the snow this week? Get locked out of your dorm? The struggle is real, and the cast of “The Struggle Bus” knows it. This YouTube series started as a way for Syracuse University senior Cadienne Obeng and alumnus Jonathan Wigfall to learn more about TV production. With over 15,000 hits and preparing for its third season, “The Struggle Bus” explores all the difficulties of being a college student.

Broadway bound

imageedit_2_4078491047
Courtesy of Stephen Carrasco

In the fall, The Daily Orange talked with Stephen Carrasco, SU alum and dance captain of Broadway’s “Kinky Boots.” Now, he’s traded in his knee-high boots for a revival of “Fiddler on the Roof,” a slightly different production. Check out our Q&A for Carrasco’s take on Fiddler’s new choreography, how it compares to “Kinky Boots” and stories from backstage.

One if by land, two if by Range Rover

“I’m Shmacked is coming! I’m Shmacked is coming!” Humor columnist Danny Cuneo channels his inner Henry Wadsworth Longfellow — you know, the guy who wrote that Paul Revere poem you had to read in middle school — and warns the SU student body of this invasion.

Optical Illusions

12116_P_FromCal_WEB_Fromwriter
Hanna Horvath | Staff Writer

A collaboration between the School of Architecture and the School of Visual and Performing Arts, this new exhibition is an immersive experience. The Rodger Mack gallery in the Shaffer Art building became a maze of patterned walls that challenges the limits of interior design. Visitors can don catalogue suits to blend in with the walls, which explore the visual effects that are possible with wallpaper.

Lyric Engineer

Some people work out their anxiety through exercise. When Henry Kaczman, an SU sophomore, briefly lost that ability in high school, he channeled it into rap. He’s since released two EPs and an album, the latest of which came out on Jan. 18. In his new album “Shent,” he tells a story of two childhood friends that was a challenge to both write and record.