Thirsty Thursday

Newcastle Brown Ale has nutty, caramel flavor

Lukas Halloran | Staff Photographer

The Newcastle Brown Ale has a flavor that is balanced out by sweet and bitter notes, and would pair well with a burger.

The first real snow of the year is always a big deal here in Syracuse — people are bundled up head to toe, slipping on the unplowed sidewalks and taking the obligatory, “this weather is awful” Snapchat.

So instead of making the trek to Chuck’s, Faegan’s or even DJ’s, perhaps kick back and relax with a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale. It’s reasonably priced, with a six-pack at Tops checking out at $9.29 after tax, and it’s an easy beer to drink with an original flavor.

If it wasn’t obvious by its name, this drink is a brown ale. It looks like a thick, full-bodied beer, but surprisingly, it isn’t. It’s not too carbonated — as most of us usually experience with a 30 of Keystone — and because of that it produces a thin, light head. On the nose it has a bittersweet aroma, a blend of caramel and hops.

Newcastle Brown Ale is sweet on the tip of the tongue, but it gives a slightly bitter finish that balances out your palate. The words that come to my head when thinking about the flavor: caramel, nutty, slightly hoppy and slightly malty. I can’t think of another beer that even tastes remotely like Newcastle Brown Ale.

This is a smooth ale. You could easily enjoy a pint or two with a thick, juicy burger as the flavor will stand up to the meat. Or, you could easily throw a few bottles back with a couple of friends one night while watching a ‘Cuse basketball game.

Now that winter has arrived in true central New York fashion, remember there are a ton of alternatives to walking through the tundra to a subpar party in a Euclid basement or the DJ’s sauna. Instead, kick back and enjoy a six-pack of Newcastle Brown Ale with some friends. It’s guaranteed to be a great — and warm — night with some great beer.