Week in sports

Week in Sports: Dino Babers introduced, Syracuse falls in national semifinal and more

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Dino Babers was officially introduced to the Syracuse community on Monday as the next head coach of the football program.

Here’s three things to know from this past week in Syracuse sports.

Dino Babers introduced as next head coach of Syracuse Football

Dino Babers took the podium for the first time as Syracuse’s head coach last Monday and proclaimed, “Why not Syracuse?” Here’s five things he said at his inaugural press conference, including his focus on a faster-paced offense for the Orange in 2016.

Additionally, he emphasized the importance of local recruiting, and said he wouldn’t consider recruits he reeled in at Bowling Green unless they officially decommitted from the program.

The coaching staff has already been significantly altered by Babers, who replaced newly-named defensive coordinator of Maryland, Scott Shafer.

Additional content: 5 things Mark Coyle said at Dino Babers’ introductory press conference

Syracuse loses to Clemson in first-ever College Cup appearance

In the teams’ third matchup, Clemson ended Syracuse’s dream season in penalty kicks to advance to the College Cup championship, where the Tigers eventually lost to Stanford. Missed opportunities will haunt the Orange, as forwards Chris Nanco and Ben Polk both advanced the ball into dangerous areas before whiffing on their respective shots late in the match.

Syracuse was tagged with its first loss since Oct. 30 against Boston College, but this one ended its season.

Additional content: Syracuse’s improbable season shattered by Clemson in Final 4, penalty-kick loss

St. John’s ousts Syracuse in upset win after SU beats Colgate earlier in week

Syracuse flashed it’s 3-point prowess against Colgate on Tuesday, sinking 14-of-30 shots from behind the arc in a 78-51 win. The Orange was beat up on the boards a bit by the Raiders — who equaled SU’s 32 rebounds — but was lifted primarily by Malachi Richardson and Michael Gbinije’s 17 points. It was the first win for Mike Hopkins as Syracuse’s interim head coach.

Richardson followed up his revival game against Colgate with a dud against St. John’s, shooting 0-for-11 from 3 in the 84-72 loss on Sunday afternoon in Madison Square Garden. It was a trend for Syracuse in the contest, who simply missed too many shots to keep up with Red Storm. Part of the blame also falls on the defensive side of the ball, where the Orange yielded 12 3-pointers and 32 points combined between Amar Alibegovic and Federico Mussini.

Additional content: What we learned from Syracuse’s win over Colgate and what we learned from Syracuse’s loss to St. John’s

Quick hits