Meet Monday

SU Ambulance president works to help others

Gabriella Jones | Staff Photographer

Harris said that one of the most rewarding parts of working at SUA is when patients see him on campus and thank him.

Eric Harris’ life goal is to help a billion people. As the current president of Syracuse University Ambulance (SUA), Harris is trying to get a head start.

He got involved with the student-run organization after a few members came to speak in his biology class. Harris, a junior biochemistry major on the pre-med track, decided it would be a good idea to experience working with medicine before medical school.

He described SUA as a “business family.” He said although there are business formalities, the team also has a lot of camaraderie.

“The most difficult part of SUA, as some people would probably not believe, is wanting to separate the time between studying and being at SUA,” Harris said. “I mean, you want to be at SUA so much that sometimes it kind of just takes over. I guess in a sense that could sound bad, but in other ways, it’s a great feeling.”

As president, Harris balances multiple different responsibilities. Holding the main administrative role, some of his main duties are managing the budget and acting as a liaison between campus life and the organization.

“My favorite part [about being a part of SUA] is that I get to challenge myself. We constantly get new people every semester, so whether it’s trying to meet everybody and to get to know their names within the first week or [being on] a difficult call and seeing if I can handle it in the best way possible,” Harris said.

Though much of their work receives little thanks, Harris explains that the job is always gratifying when they get a call and help someone out at their low point. He said the most rewarding part of the job is when one of their patients sees them on campus and personally thanks them.

Harris said he hopes to pursue a career in orthopedics, neurosurgery or cardiology. However, he considers these aspirations to be stepping stones to his ultimate goal of saving a billion people.

“I know it sounds flowery, but my thing is, even if you fall short of helping a billion people, you’re at least helping maybe ten million people or one hundred million people,” Harris said. “You’re helping as many people as you can.”