Meet Monday

Junior coordinates ‘Jammin’ for Justice’ concert

Gabriella Jones | Staff Photographer

Junior Alexis Rinck launched a Syracuse University Chapter of Democracy Matters last semester. Jammin' for Justice is their next big event.

After interning for the New York Public Interest Research Group, Alexis Rinck decided she wanted to make a change in the political world, so she launched a Syracuse University Chapter of Democracy Matters to spread awareness about corporate funding.

Democracy Matters is a non-partisan organization that focuses on getting corporate money out of politics, she said. The group is currently coordinating its next big event, the “Jammin’ for Justice” concert on Nov. 7.

Rinck, a junior policy and sociology major and event coordinator, gathered help from many of the other activist groups on campus to plan “Jammin’ for Justice.” Co-sponsors include UNICEF, NYPIRG, Students of Sustainability, Divest ESF, GirlUp, the Roosevelt Institute, Active Minds, NAACP and Greenpeace.

Last year, the group worked with Active Minds to hold an event called “Mindful Music.” She said this concert was a success, and sparked conversation about the lack of attention on mental health services and the funding and politics behind that.

“I hope that this concert will bring together the activist community because I think that we all have a lot of similar views and I really want to see a union of all of us,” Rinck said.

The groups are expected to have side tables at the concert to talk about what projects they are working on. The tables will also have sign-up sheets for people to get involved.

Rinck said she has high hopes to make “Jammin’ for Justice” an annual event. She said she hopes to build up Democracy Matters even more in the future.

“I find it very important because it links so many issues. Nothing’s going to get accomplished until you have politicians in office who fully serve the people rather than the corporations they’re funded by,” Rinck said. “I hope through these events people come to see that and they get behind this movement of overturn Citizens United and get people in office who care, so we can really get to the roots of the issues.”