Week in Review

Week in Sports: Eric Dungey wins in 1st start, big field hockey win and more

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor / The Daily Orange

A Syracuse defender flies over Demon Deacons receiver Cortez Lewis trying to make a tackle.

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse football defeats Wake Forest 30-17 behind improved defense

Chuck Bullough’s strategy and Ron Thompson’s encouraging words at halftime led a Syracuse defense to tighten up in the second half, only allow one Wake Forest field goal and get a much-needed win in the Carrier Dome Saturday.

You can read all The Daily Orange’s coverage of the game here and you can see a visual breakdown of the keys which unlocked the Syracuse win here.

More: Eric Dungey leads Syracuse to comeback win over Wake ForestStock up/Stock down: A look back at Wake Forest

SU men’s soccer stalls against Louisville

Three first-year starters on defense for the Orange were thrown into the fire Friday when Syracuse hosted No. 23 Louisville. The defense stood up to the challenge though and warded off multiple Cardinal chances en route to a 1-1 draw.

Syracuse also lost valuable offense when Korab Syla went down with an injury.

More: Syracuse defense successful in test against No. 23 Louisville

and Korab Syla’s injury stalls Syracuse offense in 1-1 tie with Louisville

Eric Dungey is used to being thrown into tough situations

So it turns out that Syracuse’s true freshman quarterback had nearly the exact same situation (starting quarterback gets hurt, thrust into game) in high school. Except then he was on the wrong side of a 40-point blowout. He’s a rookie for Syracuse, but a veteran when it comes to handling the predicament he’s in.

Now, the 19-year-old is stepping up to take the reins of the Syracuse offense, and was successful in his first career start against Wake Forest.

More: Eric Dungey leans on identical circumstance, humble persona to take reins of SU offense

Field Hockey rallies at home in 2nd half to beat No. 2 North Carolina

With a few minutes remaining and North Carolina setting up a penalty corner with the score tied 2-2, No. 3 Syracuse did what it does best. A quick stop led to a quick pass up which led to a counter attack and odd-woman rush. That translated into a score which would eventually prove to be the game winner.

More: No. 3 Syracuse executes on late penalty corners to beat No. 2 North Carolina

Linfield honors killed teammate with new tradition

Parker Moore, 20, was murdered last November in a 7-Eleven a few hours after he helped Linfield College win its conference title. Ten months later, the school and students are healing with monuments and memorial benches, as well as a new tradition.

More: Linfield honors late teammate with monument and jersey tradition